Tag Archives: gift
People have different expectations during Christmas. Some of you have been waiting for this season so that you can do lots of shopping. Some of you have been waiting to take a vacation and go some place nice and have some fun. Some of you have been waiting to visit your loved ones. Some of you can’t wait to get a special gift from your friend or family. For some, it is just a holiday season which comes and goes every year. Some of you are seeking a new job, new house, new computer, new phone, new books, or new clothes. The malls and shopping centers are now full with people seeking something for themselves and for their loved ones. I heard news about a mother who bought 300 gifts for her children (see the picture above), and when people criticized her, she tried to justify her desire to give those gifts. It is a very sad thing that she will be raising her children who will not appreciate the true meaning of Christmas. She is seeking to gratify herself. People are no longer seeking JESUS the real reason for Christmas Season.
We read the Christmas story of the wise men who came to Jerusalem. They were seeking the King of the Jews. You might have seen written on signboards or plaques, “Wise men still seek Jesus” or “Wise men still seek the King of the Jews”.
What you seek tells a whole lot about you!
“Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east and are come to worship him.” Mathew 2:1-2
There are few problems with our celebrations which have plagued our society and culture today. Christmas has become a self-seeking, self-gratifying festival. We are told, advised, and encouraged to treat ourselves well because we deserve it. Even Christians are deceived to think the same way. We often justify our indulgences and celebrations because of the traditions of old passed to us by our fathers. Our traditions and celebrations are not much different from the world. Additionally, we are doing our best not to break the materialistic traditions of Christmas, at the same time trying to pass along the traditions of old to the new generation. However, Paul warns us that “People will become of lover of themselves rather than lovers of God”
“But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves……… lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! II Timothy 3:1-5
Let me encourage you to seek JESUS this Christmas.Here are Scripture passages to meditate this Christmas, which in essence will help you Seek rightly:
- The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. Psalm 14:2, Psalm 53:2
- There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. Romans 3:11
- Now set your heart and your soul to seek the LORD your God; I Chronicle 22:19
- The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts. Psalm 10:4
- But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. Deuteronomy 4:29
- And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes. Daniel 9:3
JESUS himself came on that Christmas night to seek us. The purpose of Christ’s First Coming is clearly told in the Scriptures,
“For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.” Luke 19:10
These are Twelve things we are exhorted and encourage to Seek
- But Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; Mathew 6:33, Luke 12:31
- Seek the LORD and his strength, Seek his face continually I Chronicle 22:19
- Seek for all the commandments of the LORD. I Chronicle 28:8
- Seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach. Ezra 7:10
- Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail” Isaiah 34:16
- Seek good and not evil, That you may live; Amos 5:14
- Seek righteousness, Zephaniah 2:3
- Seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hidden in the day of the LORD’S anger. Zephaniah 2:3
- Seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life: Romans 2:7
- Seek peace, and pursue it. Psalm 34:14
- Seek judgment. Isaiah 1:17
- If ye then be risen with Christ, Seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Colossians 3:1
But without faith, it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6
What are you seeking during Christmas as you wait for Christ’s Second coming? Will he find you seeking Him in faith? Luke 18:8
Are you expecting a gift?
Christmas is a time when people give gifts or receive gifts. The shepherds were told that you will find your gift wrapped in swaddling clothes. “And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.” Luke 2:12
The Word of God encourages us to receive Christ Jesus who is God’s indescribable gift to mankind! ( II Cor 9:15) As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: John 1:12
There are also gifts stored for those who are looking for His second coming! “Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” II Timothy 4:8
I am planning to write a ” #Christmas Encouragement for the day ” for the next 21 days as we are in the Christmas celebration month. Check here every day.
How is your preparation going on?
“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, From everlasting.”Micah 5:2 For many missed his First coming except for few even though it was foretold clearly by the prophets.
And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence. I John 2:28
As we are planning and preparing to celebrate our Lord’ First coming or Advent, similarly we must prepare for our Lord ‘ Second coming or Advent. not be ashamed before Him. Are you preparing?